Assessment Evaluation: Reading Assignment EDUC 622
Assessment Evaluation Assignment Instructions
Overview: The purpose of this assignment is to research, evaluate, and understand valid, reliable, fair, and appropriate assessment tools used in schools to screen, diagnose, and measure student academic achievement. There are 2 Assessment Evaluation assignments in the course, each with a different focus. They are:
1. LITERACY FOCUS, which all candidates complete (Assessment Evaluation: Reading)
2. CONTENT FOCUS*, which is specific to your degree program.
*Assessment Evaluation: Behavioral, Remediation, or Intervention
· Reading Specialist candidates will complete a remediation evaluation with a focus on reading, spelling, and/or writing.
· Special education candidates will complete an intervention evaluation with a focus on reading or behavior.
· School counselor candidates will complete an intervention evaluation with a focus on behavior.
· Math Specialist candidates will complete a remediation evaluation with math concepts.
· Administrator candidates will complete a remediation evaluation with behavior, reading, or math concepts.
Note: Be sure to complete the correct focus area for Assessment Evaluation: Behavioral, Remediation, or Intervention.
Since education assessment instruments are costly and not listed in the course materials, this assignment consists of researching and evaluating assessment instruments. If your school has any education kit(s) discussed in this assignment, you are permitted to review the testing materials on your own, however, this task is not required. A citation would be included on the reference page.
Specific Guidelines for the Assessment Evaluations
Step 1 – Research
1. Select 4 instruments from the Approved Assessment Instruments List. (See separate document.)
2. Using Buros Mental Measurements, examine 4 measurement studies or measurement reviews about the existing measures from the Approved Assessment Instruments List. There should be 4 assessments reviewed for both Assessment Evaluation assignments (8 total).
3. Critically analyze the measures, addressing strengths and weaknesses. There is a data collection template provided to ease the process of collecting information. This template is submitted with the assignment. Each critical analysis should include the following:
· A Summary of the assessment instrument with clear, specific information unique to the instrument, including the population who could be tested with the instrument.
· An analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the measure. There must be a minimum of 2 reasons to support each one.
· Justification for why the measurement would be an appropriate measure for different populations.
4. Repeat #3 for each of the 4 instruments.
5. Use a separate data collection template for each instrument. Save each as a Microsoft Word document labeled: instrumentname.doc
NOTE: When submitting the evaluation, these separate templates must be compiled, along with all other items, into 1 Word document.
6. Other resources for research are listed in the syllabus and may be used in addition to Buros. If using the testing instrument manual, list it in the references.
Step 2 – Written Report
1. Organize and format each assessment instrument with the headings and subheadings outlined below. Do not write the questions or statements from the data collection template. Write in well-formed paragraphs that flow logically from one topic to the next.
2. Each instrument review should contain a minimum of 2 pages of content, including the data collection template, in addition to the cover page and reference page. Format the paper in current APA. The data collection template will be used as a chart in the report at the end of each instrument review.
3. The total paper (10 pages) should be presented in this order:
· Title Page (1 page)
· 8 Pages of Content
· Assessment Evaluation (AE) 1
· Completed AE 1 template
· AE 2
· Completed AE 2 template
· AE 3
· Completed AE 3 template
· AE 4
· Completed AE 4 template
· Reference Page (1 page) – All assessments should be referenced in current APA format.
4. Format each written assessment evaluation with the title, “Analysis of Assessment Name,” using the following headings.
· Summary of Assessment
· Strengths and Weaknesses of the Assessment
· Justification and Use of the Assessment
· Insert data collection template as a chart
Page 1 of 2